Written by Lindsey Batista, Rock the Dream
One huge benefit of today’s online environment is that anyone can learn to play an instrument or write songs completely on their own. Even if you aren’t a professionally trained musician, there are tons of free online resources at your disposal. Here are 5 apps we recommend that every songwriter use, no matter how long you’ve been writing music!
- Rhymersblock- There are tons of apps that help with rhyming, and rhymer’s block is a great one. Just enter the word you want to rhyme and in a matter of seconds it will give you a thorough list. It will start with perfect rhymes, and then give plenty of closely-related rhymes to choose from.
- Soundbrenner- Every musician needs a metronome! This app is free, and it has a special feature where you can tap a beat, and it will give you the tempo. This will save you tons of time instead of trying out different tempos one at a time.
- Tunerlite- You’ll probably need a tuner at some point in your writing and recording. This app is especially useful, because it will listen to a note and tell you what it is.
- Evernote Scannable- If you prefer writing lyrics with good old pen and paper, then this app will save you tons of time when you need to type it up. It will scan your handwriting and turn it into text.
- Evernote- This is a great app to stay organized. You can write your lyrics and embed audio in the same note. It’s also great for collaboration, because you can easily share your notes, plus set reminders for due dates or for calls with co-writers.
These apps are essential to making your songwriting process more efficient and organized. Try them and see how much time you can save, and maybe even write better songs!